A). To remove your name from mail/phone marketing lists:
1. Register land-line and cell phones with the National Do Not Call Registry at www.donotcall.gov, or by calling 1-888-382-1222. Once registered, it becomes permanent.
2. To remove your name from junk mail lists, write to the Mail Preference Services, PO Box 643, Carmel, NY 10512, or register on-line at www.dmachoice.org/register.php.
B). To block unwanted telephone calls
1. a). VoIP Technology Users - NOMOROBO is a call-blocking service that runs through internet-connected phone systems. It stops unwanted calls by filtering out numbers placed on the blacklists and is free. To find out if your phone carrier supports this technology and to sign up for services, go to www.nomorobo.com.
2. b). Wireless (mobile) phone users - Unwanted calls that come through cellular phones can be screened out through downloadable apps developed for just this purpose. To avoid possible malware infection, make certain the app you select comes from a reliable source, such as an official app store.
3. c). Land-line users - Call-blocking devices can be purchased and attached to phones to detect unwanted calls while still allowing calls from acceptable callers to come through. Such devices may be beneficial to older land-line users to protect against predatory callers. Such devices can be purchased at electronic appliance stores. For more information, read Consumer Reports reviews on call-block devices at www.consumerreports.org, or google “Call Blocker Devices”.
C). To check the registration of a security or license of a financial advisor:
Colorado Department of Securities, 303-894-2320 or www.colorado.gov/pacific/dora/division-securities
D). To file a consumer compliant:
1. To report telemarketing scams: www.ftc.com or 1-877-382-4357
2. To report violation of the “Do Not Call” registry:
www.ftc.gov or www.donotcall.gov or 1-888-382-1222.
3. To file a complaint on a business or charity: Denver/Boulder Better Business Bureau at www.bbb.org or
4. If you have been a victim of an internet scam, file a complaint with the Internet Crime Center at www.IC3.gov
E). To place a fraud alert on your credit report, contact the three credit reporting bureaus:
Equifax 1-888-766-0008 www.Equifax.Com
Experian 1-888-397-3742 www.Experian.Com
Transunion 1-800-680-7289 www.Transunion.Com
F). To report an IRS scam involving the following:
1. Email phishing scam: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Money loss through either a tax refund scam or extortion scam:
Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration TIGTA: www.treasury.gov/tigta/contact_report_scam.shtml and FTC.
G). If you believe you have been a victim of fraud, contact the District Attorney’s Office – Consumer Protection Line at 720-874-8547.