LaVoz
In English
En Español
In English
En Español
 
  Around the City
  Arts & Entertainment
  Automundo
  Business
  Classifieds
  Commentary
  Community
  Education
  El Mundo
  Environment
  From the Publisher
  Health
  Immigration
  La Vida Latina
  La Voz Special Editions
  La Voz NAHP Awards
  Letter to the Editor
  Mis Recuerdos
  My Money
  Nuestra Gente
  Of Special Interest
  Politics
  Pueblo/Southern Colorado
  Que Pasa
  Sports
  Student of the Week
  Technology
  Vecinos
  Where Are They Now?
  Archives
  Home
 
 
The ultimate act of kindness
 
Photo courtesy: Vivian Herrerea
 

By Joshua Pilkington
News@lavozcolorado.com
 
04/12/2017

Marrow donors are still scarce among minorities

For people with life-threatening blood cancers – like leukemia and lymphoma – or other diseases, a cure exists. That cure can be found through a marrow or umbilical cord blood transplant. Unfortunately, the best chance to find a match between patient and donor is typically only found between ones own ancestry. That fact has caused organizations such as Be The Match, operated by the National Marrow Donor Program, to continue to urge minorities to participate in marrow donation programs.

Hispanics wanted

According to Jeffrey W. Chell, M.D., CEO Be The Match, “there simply aren’t enough members of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds. Adding more diverse members increases the likelihood that all patients will find a life-saving match.”

Statistics show that next to African Americans, Hispanics are the least likely race or ethnicity to find a donor match. That said, Hispanics do have an 83 percent likelihood of finding a match, but that leaves 17 percent that still need a donor – a high enough population to lead Be The Match to continue to emphasize the need for minority donor.

“We usually aim to gather donors who are between the ages of 18 and 44,” said Be The Match Southwest representative Anita Gonzales in a statement. “However, in that range we aim to gather the minorities. There is an increasingly low amount of minorities in our registry.”

The National Marrow Donor Program estimates that 75 percent of registered donors are Caucasian making the remaining 25 percent of Hispanic, African American and Asian decent.

“In some cases it can take eight to nine years to find an actual Hispanic minority DNA match,” Gonzales said. “When it comes to donating and surgical procedures, the majority of minorities will only help their direct families, not the life of a complete stranger. We really try to educate and bring awareness to these minorities, because it can help save the life of another person.”

A story to inspire

Over 20 years ago Vivian Herrera registered with Be The Match in hopes to help a family member who had been diagnosed with leukemia. She didn’t hear back, so she assumed she wasn’t a match. Flash forward to January 2017. Herrera’s parents receive a call from Be The Match saying that their daughter might be a possible match for a 3-year-old boy.

“The gentleman I spoke with said that I was still in the Be The Match registry and that I could save [the boy’s] life,” said Herrera who works at the New Mexico Human Services Department and has three healthy children and two grandchildren. “[He asked] if I wanted to proceed with this and I responded with ‘absolutely.’”

Two months after sending her blood work in for evaluation, Herrera heard back from Maria at Be The Match who said her blood work had been approved and the harvest date was set for April 24. But then things got complicated.

“Maria reached out to me and said that the baby boy couldn’t wait that long and we needed to move the dates up and I said that was fine,” Herrera said. “She informed me that the physical would be February 28 in San Jose, Calif., and that the harvest would take place on March 21.”

The harvest, she added, was going to be of bone marrow because it “takes effect quicker and the baby boy [was] in need.”

The procedure was successful, though Herrera won’t know the status of the recipient because it can take up to 45 days post-procedure to determine the health status of the patient.

“I don’t know what it would do to me as a parent if to go through something like this,” Herrera said of the boy and his family. “I feel that my Lord Jesus has placed me in this little boy’s path for a reason and that reason being that I could help save his precious life and give his parents the miracle they have been waiting for.”

To register as a donor with the National Marrow Donor Program visit www.bethematch.org.

 

 

 

 

 
Click on our advertising links for:
SERVICE DIRECTORY
CLASSIFIEDS
La Voz
'You Tube Videos'
An EXCLUSIVE La Voz Bilingue interview
with President Barack Obama
Pulsa aquí para más episodios

Follow La Voz on:

Tweeter FaceBook Tweeter
POLL QUESTION

 

© 2017 La Voz Bilingüe. All Rights Reserved.

Advertising | Media Kit | Contact Us | Disclaimer

12021 Pennsylvania St., #201, Thornton, CO 80241, Tel: 303-936-8556, Fax: 720-889-2455

 
Site Powered By: Multimedia X